Lavender / Splash Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heath_elisha, Apr 4, 2012.

1. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    We have a pullet that is about 5 weeks old. She is different then the other splash marans we have- as her "white" is more lavender or pale grey in color, with blue splashes. It is beautiful and certainly stands out next to a splash that is white with blue splashes. Her sister is a blue marans, and I am curious if this one pullet is a common color. Maybe there is another name for it? Thoughts please [​IMG]

even her legs are blue
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

next to her blue sister and younger splash marans that are white
    [​IMG]

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    She is probably light blue with leakage.

3. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    that makes sense... I have read about light blues and dark blues- but did not see anything about leakage. I am new to marans and I want to be sure that I am calling them the correct color when I talk about them [​IMG] Thank you.

4. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    Blue is a leaky color. Many of my lighter blue hens have darker blue leakage spots. I have had a few blue copper roos that were lighter blue and had really pretty darker almost indigo blue in their tail feathers. Some of the lighter powder blues can be really pretty!!

5. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I love the blues- both dark and light. They look so neat next to each other. Very sweet things..... but I am curious to know at what age the copper or birchen traits will start to show? I believe that the father was a blue birchen with copper leakage on the wings- unsure of the mothers. The darker blue chick looks solid blue- but I think I may have spotted copper on her shoulder- or poop lol. The light blue chick w/ leakage seems to have no copper at all. I also have a black pullet that is entirely black (with the exception of white/yellow fuzz on her chest still) - and I am waiting to see what she will have for color on her neck. (see picture below) All the "silver" you see are the new feathers growing in, not the feather color. There is not a speck of color on her wings. All the suspense to see what they will look like is driving me nuts!!! lol I adore them all though....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    this hen does not seem to have lavender at all to me, when Lavender and Splash mix they produce an even paler shade.

here is a thread about
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=41288

some pics

Quote: just scroll all the way down on this link
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=59089

Splash lavender is just Bl/Bl(double dose of blue) and lav/lav(double dose of lavender)

Edit.
    nice reading on Blue(Bl/bl+) plus lav/lav

Quote:
    hope it helps..

7. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    Those are the best pics I've seen demonstrating the lav and feather shaft. Thanks so much for posting them! [​IMG]

8. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Wow, thank you for the extra information! Very informative. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by