Lavender throwing up water

spicewood chick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2012
SPICEWOOD TEXAS
Ok so my lavender has seemed a bit skinnier lately and all my girls to be honest have struggled with this heat but she looks not so well and we noticed yesterday she had a ton of water that came out of her mouth and today when I got her out of the egg box she stood up and seemed to throw up clear liquid which had the meal worms from this mornings snack and no other food so obvioulsy shes not eating. I have read that it could be an upper resp problme and just gave her Doxycycline that i had left over from an upper resp she had when i first got her last year. Does anyone know if i have it right and is the antibiotic a good one or do i need to take the day of work off tomorrow and take her to the chickent vet

sounds like she is drinking too much water due too heat... I would cool her off and lock her with some food (yougurt maybe?) and some water with Nutri drench.
I dont have any nutri drench on hand. I do have electrolytes would that do the same thing in a pinch? Should i be giving her antibiotics just in case since she seems to have lost a lot of weight

If you have a vet that sees chickens it would be good to at least get a fecal test done to check for parasites, that could be a reason for weight loss. I would also check her crop tonight to make sure she's got food in it when she goes to roost, and check first thing in the morning before she's had access to food to make sure it's empty. A digestive or crop issue could be a cause of weight loss also. What do droppings look like, normal or no? If she's had a respiratory issue in the past, some of those are chronic.

If you have a vet that sees chickens it would be good to at least get a fecal test done to check for parasites, that could be a reason for weight loss. I would also check her crop tonight to make sure she's got food in it when she goes to roost, and check first thing in the morning before she's had access to food to make sure it's empty. A digestive or crop issue could be a cause of weight loss also. What do droppings look like, normal or no? If she's had a respiratory issue in the past, some of those are chronic.
I do have a vet. She was already roosting when I posted this but I will check her crop in the morning but she has food near her early in the morning before I get down to let them out into the yard but she did have a little food in it yesterday evening. I have 5 other girls so not sure what her poop looks like but her rear end has been a little pink for a while with not many feathers on it but has been laying fine. I will see if I can take off work and get her to the vet tomrrow afternoon

I dont have any nutri drench on hand. I do have electrolytes would that do the same thing in a pinch? Should i be giving her antibiotics just in case since she seems to have lost a lot of weight
I would definatley give the electrolites!
I do have a vet. She was already roosting when I posted this but I will check her crop in the morning but she has food near her early in the morning before I get down to let them out into the yard but she did have a little food in it yesterday evening. I have 5 other girls so not sure what her poop looks like but her rear end has been a little pink for a while with not many feathers on it but has been laying fine. I will see if I can take off work and get her to the vet tomrrow afternoon
I would take her to the vet for a parasite test if you have the money.

Back
Top Bottom