Lavender

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Belllane, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Belllane

Belllane New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi everyone, I posted this question before, but in the wrong spot (whoops) [​IMG] Can chickens eat lavender from the garden?? thank you!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  3. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Chickens don't tend to eat strong-smelling herbs like lavender. It's also bitter and generally unpalatable by itself, due to the high oil content, and is poisonous in large quantities. If you have lavender where you keep your chickens, don't worry about either the chickens or the lavender as they will leave it well alone.

4. Belllane

Belllane New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    :DOk Thank you all!

5. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    My chickens will demolish my chives! They don't touch the Lavender.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Now I know I can plant lavender around the coop and they won't eat it. I was thinking a border of lavender and slightly out of reach boxwood.

7. Lady Penelope17

Lady Penelope17 New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    Have to disagree! My chickens must be rebels because I left a lavender bush in their play area & they've decimated it! I've only had my girls 3 weeks, they're 19 weeks old. They've all had rather odd poops in the last 5 days-runny white, similar to worm infection, panic! I rang the lovely woman I bought them from and she said to remove the lavender & keep my eye on things. Just done this & now hoping their poops will return to normal & that it's because of the plant & not dreaded worms.

8. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens will nibble on lavender bushes if there is nothing else around...they just love plants!

I also put lavender in their nesting boxes...

9. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    Well, besides lacing their pellet ration with lavender leaf for soothing elements, my girls demolished every single Lav Bush we planted AND ate it. :p
    They must be total pigs. :lol:
    Hmmmm, I wonder why I didn't figure that out the last time I weighed them.... :lau
    :jumpy Happy Easter,:jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  10. Grannys Peeps

Grannys Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I was going to put lavender around the run as it will keep some bugs out. Thank you for the info. Just read that it is great for keeping flies away also. Will let you know.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by