Lawn shrimp - Terrestrial Amphipods aka Crustacea: Amphipoda: Talitridae

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 504272, Mar 20, 2018.

1. 504272

504272 Guest

I realize when the chickens are old enough to fend for themselves in a chicken tractor they will decide what to eat. No problem there.
    My question is this.
    Each year after a good rain a billion lawn shrimp (yes, I counted every one :wee)
    leap out of the watersoaked lawn in an attempt to save themselves from drowning only to die shortly thereafter by getting too dry. If I act quickly, could these lawn shrimp be fed to the chickens? I'm thinking I might have to freeze some to keep them from going bad. Does anyone have any experience harvesting lawn shrimp?
    Thank you.
    (I'm thinking the question makes me officially crazy!:lau)

The Phantom likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

What's a lawn shimp? I've never heard of those. :)

3. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Yes, you can feed them to your chickens. Don't know how you would collect them to make it worth your while. I'd just let my chickens collect/eat them, but maybe you don't free range your birds.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  4. Chickassan

Oh ok! I looked them up, I don't know how you'd harvest them but they're edible.

5. Chickens_4Life

Chickens_4Life Chirping

Mar 19, 2018
    Depends on what is inside it, I think. If you would eat it, your chickens probably can. Oh, and Chickassan, according to your reply I am not sane.

Chickassan and penny1960 like this.
  6. Chickassan

Lol! Reguardless to my reply you're here talking about lawn shimp of course you aren't sane.;)

7. 504272

504272 Guest

Thanks for the okay to feed. I know how to collect the lawn shrimp. They basically commit suicide during rainstorms by leaping into whatever container is handy - flower pot saucers or anything that's handy. Then I just scoop them up in the morning. I used to toss them in the woods or in the trash but now I will give them to the chicks, maybe freeze some for later. My chicks are still indoors for a couple more weeks but will eventually be in an outside coop and will have a chicken tractor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: