Lawn Time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sactown Chickens, May 9, 2009.

1. Sactown Chickens

Sactown Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    It was an absolutely beautiful day in Northern California today, so I decided to let the girls have some time outside on the lawn since they've been kept in the garage since coming home from the feed store. We used one of the dog's old wire cages to keep them confined and let them look for bugs and peck at the lawn. They had a great time. I decided to put them out in pairs since the cage is not all that big. Here's a photo of the first two, after they'd had a few minutes to get used to their surroundings.
    [​IMG]
    I love the quizzical look from the chick on the left.

2. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Cute!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I let mine out also... they are just over two weeks, but they didn't seem to like it. Another two weeks and they will.

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    It's so much fun to see them outside for the first time. I took my 2 and 3 week olds out on Tuesday (or was it Wednesday?) just put them down on the driveway. They wandered around for a bit and then started eating the fallen maple buds. They have been on grit for a while now so it was no big deal. I let them stay out for 15 minutes and then took them in. It's been rainy most of the rest of the week so that has been their only foray out into the world.

5. Chick N Ug

Chick N Ug Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    We did the same thing this week. Ours are about 4 weeks old and they spent the entire day outside on Thursday since it was 80 degrees. They seem much happier outside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by