Lay Eggs Purposfully Any Place But the Nest Box!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Montana-Hens, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    My late layer is driving me nuts.

She just started laying last week. All my hens lay in the nest boxes without problems. This hen will sit on the nest box for hours and then get up and leave to lay her egg!

Coop confined just means on the the floor. Run confine just means in the run. Coop confine means it is likely broken, so far no egg eating, but that is my worry.

She has been laying for a week. Should give her more time or is her time up??

2. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have nine hens, all lay in the boxes except 1.

She lays her eggs on the coop floor, same place all the time.

I just live with it.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have one like that, too. [​IMG] I tried putting a nest where she usually lays her egg and she squished herself behind it just to avoid laying in it. LOL I think it is kinda sweet. [​IMG]

4. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Same here! I have an easter-egger and she never fails to lay anywhere but the nest! Inside of an old cactus, on my back porch, behind the shed...it's like a literal easter egg hunt trying to find the darn blue eggs that she lays about the yard.
    She almost went broody because I didn't find her current nest for a week, and she'd laid seven eggs in a hollow by my outside shower.

It's a little frustrating, but it's one of those things you live with![​IMG]

5. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

My new Australorp eschewed the nesting boxes for a week - laying on the floor under them. Yesterday, finally, she decided the box was okay. So your late layer may yet figure it out.

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    There's hope....

We had two floor layers last season. In Fall, I moved them into smaller breeding pens - 8' X 5' spaces designed for 6-8 hens + a roo, with 2 nest boxes. One of them them then started laying in a nest box. The other one went broody. When she started laying again, she laid 3 or 4 on the floor. Then all the sudden she started using a nest box.

We haven't had a floor egg from either of them in months now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by