Layer crumble for 11 week old pullets

arcatamarcia

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
I have two bags of organic layer crumbles to feed my four 11 week old pullets. I know flock raiser would be better at their age, but I couldn't get that organic locally. So I went with organic layer crumble. Now I'm re-thinking my choice. I've had it for a couple of weeks, so I'm reluctant to return the unopened bag. So, since I have it, will it hurt them? They free range about four hours a day as well.

I had to buy some layer crumble a couple months ago because the feed store ran out of grower and I didn't want to drive to another feed store. Then I bought more grower when they had it in (about a week later). I had two groups of chickens 4-5 weeks apart in age (some 15 week olds and some 10 week olds). What I did was mix up some of the grower with the layer until I used up all of the layer. I still have some grower left. It is not ideal but I did not want to waste what I already had.

My local feed store was also out of the organic grower crumble...so I went ahead and got a bag of the layer crumble too. My girls are 10 weeks old. The only difference really, is the grower has a little more protein in it....and probably since they free range, they would be making up the difference in protein with bugs and what not... The layer crumble isn't going to hurt them! Hope this helps!
smile.png

I think you are all OK with the layer. At 10, 11 & 15 weeks all your chicks are big enough that layer shouldn't hurt them.
The layer has more calcium in it to provide laying hens with the necessary calcium to make plenty of hard shells. Feeding it to little chicks, that are too young to lay means that the only way for them to get rid of the excess of calcium is too excrete it through their kidneys. That is awfully hard on tiny kidneys for a long time.
Some people have posted that their chicks, in the coop, have eaten layer all their lives without problems.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom