Layer feed and Roosters?

Exsinc

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2021
I’ve seen quite a few posts on here about the calcium in layer feed being bad long term for roosters. I’ve also read just as many posts saying it’s completely fine and not to worry about it. We are planning on keeping our rooster till nature takes it’s course, we want to provide the best life for him. He stays with his 13 laying girls so he’s been on the same feed as them his whole life (8 months). Just wondering if we should make a switch and if so does anyone have any recommendations? Any insight would be much appreciated as finding specific info online has been tricky. Here’s a pic of the feed content if that helps:
73EF498C-0624-4754-B464-385380B5F472.jpeg

I have the same plan for my cockerel - keep him around as long as I can. I've read conflicting posts about this too, but I'm planning to err on the side of caution and feed all-flock to everyone and have a side dish of oyster shell for the ladies. If it might keep him healthier and around longer, why not? :confused:
But actually, if there is a good reason to not do this, I would love to hear it! My flock is only 9 weeks old, so they are still a ways off from me needing to decide. :)

Hi there. I understand your quandary. You’ll get many opinions and in the end you have to do what you feel is the right thing. I fed an all flock feed and provided oyster shell on the side for the girls but that’s what I thought was the right thing to do for my birds. I hatched chicks and it was far easier to just feed everyone the same thing and let the girls get extra calcium with the oyster shell. It has been a while since I looked for scholarly articles on the subject but maybe a bit of that kind of reading would help you decide.

I'm feeding my flock Purina all flock 18% protein mixed with layer feed. But the smell from all flock stinks. I will be feeding him 22% feed once all flock is gone plus the higher protein makes his feathers dazzling. Oh and all my chickens are due for a molt so I'm prepared.

I’ve seen quite a few posts on here about the calcium in layer feed being bad long term for roosters. I’ve also read just as many posts saying it’s completely fine and not to worry about it. We are planning on keeping our rooster till nature takes it’s course, we want to provide the best life for him. He stays with his 13 laying girls so he’s been on the same feed as them his whole life (8 months). Just wondering if we should make a switch and if so does anyone have any recommendations? Any insight would be much appreciated
Feed a Non-medicated Starter-Grower 18%/20% with a separate container of Oyster Shells.
20201126_051237.jpg

It's what I feed to my Pullets and Hens for 3 years.
It contains all nutrients a laying chicken needs except Calcium and its cheaper than a All-flock/Flock Raiser feed. GC

A few years back somebody on here linked a study (in Canada if my memory works that well) about feeding roosters Layer feed. The conclusion was that if roosters are fed nothing but a feed that contained the same amount of Calcium as Layer they sometimes could, possibly, might have issues with internal organs. The study did not show that each and everyone male fed that duet had issues, some did not. Even on those affected, it usually did not kill them, but damaged internal organs so they were not as efficient as they could be. It can kill some but I think if it more as my liver from when I had Hepatitis B in 1987. My liver is scarred as confirmed by a scan. My doctor is very cautious in prescribing certain medications because of that. Sometimes I have to get bloodwork done. Damage does not automatically mean instant death.

From that study on roosters there is a risk in feeding non-laying members of your flock a feed that has the amount of calcium in Layer. There are studies that show that feeding growing chicks that level if calcium also can, possibly, might cause issues. With growing chicks it is more serious than with adults. I strongly recommend against that.

But there is a second side of this. It is not how much calcium is in one bite, it's how many total grams of calcium do they eat in a day, and that is averaged out over a few days. If your chickens forage for a lot of their food the total amount of calcium they eat in a day may not be that high. If you feed a lot of low calcium treats they may not be getting that much total calcium. If you feed a lot of low calcium treats there may be other nutritional issues but that does reduce the risk from calcium.

For me the answer is easy. I almost always have immature chickens in the flock anyway so I never feed Layer although my flock forages a fair amount. I feed Grower to all of them with oyster shell on the side. The ones that need the calcium seem to know it and the rest don't eat enough to harm themselves.

Back
Top Bottom