Layer feed for Roosters????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by suenrob, Feb 25, 2008.

1. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    My flock all dines together. I feed layer feed because I have pullets that I got to lay eggs. I was told that the rooster cannot eat this. Do you guys sepatate the roos at feeding time???? (I mix the layer feed with scratch grains)

2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Everyone I have asked has told me that it is fine for the roosters to eat the layer feed. My roosters eat everything my hens eat and the are healthy and growing well.

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Thanks hms, I got scared when someone told me layer feed would kill my Roo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    It is fine for roos to eat layer feed. My roosters still won'y lay though. [​IMG]

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

haha buckguy.............my buff orp roo likes to sit on eggs now [​IMG] so layer feed must do something......... my roos have always eaten everything my hens do with no side affects!

6. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    My 2 boys are doing fine eating layer food. I thought I read somewhere here that the calcium in layer food also benefits the roosters bones?
    Oh, my alpha roo (cockerel yet actually) will go sit in a nesting box once in a while.[​IMG]

7. clay

clay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    OK, so what do you feed to hens (layers), roos, and ducks? These guys were raised from chicks together, so I don't think seperating them would be too easy.

-Clay

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

clay.....my ducks and chickens all eat the same thing........crumbles........cracked corn.....black oil sunflower seeds.......and treats..........I let them choose what they want to eat.......

9. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    my roos have done fine, but my roos don't lay either. I've watched them try though [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

On another chicken forum that I belong to there was a discussion several months ago that layer feed fed long term isn't good for roosters. That too much calcium builds up in their systems since they aren't using it up by making egg shells. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. I do know the symptoms matched to a large degree a rooster that I lost at like 5 years of age. Since then I feed mine Purina flock raiser and put out oyster shell for the hens to eat. Haven't had any issues with weak shells. I also pulverize egg shells and feed those back to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by