Layer feed in 100 degree heat?

EastTexasChick

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
I did a quick search and didnt find anything so hopefully this hasnt been posted... I live in TX and for the past 29+ days we have been over 100 degrees, in that time my girls havent layed at all (I mean no eggs what so ever) they are just over a year old (they layed last year really well, but we didnt have the heat like this year) I also have some younger girls that are about 6 mo old. I was just wondering if it would be ok to feed them layer feed or if I should just let the girls have a break (they stay in the run most of the time because of a bobcat dh has yet to get rid of, and they eat kitchen scraps and hen scratch, there run is in the shade and when i check on them they are never panting or heat stressed, also they have a fan on them at night).. Thanks for any help..

I'm north of Austin and Yep, it's definitely hot!! I have 9 girls (4 newbies that started laying in May/June) and they eat Purina Layena supplemented with some oyster shell and scratch as a treat. They "hibernate" in the coop when it's too hot (coop and run are both in shade) and lay when they feel like it!

I don't think you can go wrong giving Layer's feed. If they aren't foraging, it's possible they aren't getting enough nutrients. Scratch isn't enough to keep them laying.

Bob

5 RIRs, 3 White Leghorns, and 1 mean lavender Guinea

thanks for the info.. I just didnt know if making them lay would over heat them or not... guess Im going to TSC in the morning

The heat will affect egg production, but still keep feeding them the Layena as it has extra nutrients etc added for them. Also try frozen soda bottles in their run, they will stand on them to help cool down, or place in a shallow pan of water, it helps them to keep cool........

Quote:
Feeding layer feed doesn't MAKE them lay. It simply provides the nutrients they need to lay and stay in good shape. They will stop and start laying as their bodies dictate. I would keep feeding them their layer feed.
smile.png

I live in Texas & my girls are laying . I give them ice water twice a day. I also give them cold veggies. Every treat is cold. Not really treats but vegetables cold from the garden. I have laying pellets 24/7. I suggest fresh water all the time. Look at their water if its not fresh make it fresh. Water is the key .

Thanks for all the replies will deff get some layer feed today... I water them like crazy 3-4 times a day plus there is a little plastic kids pool out there (I have 2 ducks in the run too) so they get plenty of water... thanks again for all the help guys

Back
Top Bottom