Layer feed recommendations?

urbaninsteading

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2022
Planning on getting chicks in the spring. I know they will need chick feed for the first several months of life and then will transition to a layer feed. Once they are old enough for layer feed what feed(s) would you recommend? I'm looking for brand recommendations. It does not need to be organic or non-gmo - just needs to be reasonably nutritious, able to buy in bulk, and not excessively expensive (I don't mind paying a little more for quality, but don't want to pay a ton more for minimal added benefit). Also, I am an avid gardener and we have tons of vegetable scraps to supplement. Chickens will be in a large run since the city I live in does not allow free ranging.

Flock Raiser or All Flock. From hatch to death. Put a container or two of oyster shell out on the side for free choice feeding when they start laying. You never have to change anything.
we have tons of vegetable scraps to supplement
Keep this to a low roar or you will dilute the total protein content of the diet.

Last edited:
Flock Raiser or All Flock. From hatch to death. Put a container or two of oyster shell out on the side for free choice feeding when the start laying. You never have to change anything.

Keep this to a low roar or you will dilute the total protein content of the diet.
Whitney Houston Agree GIF

For hatch to lay, I suggest a chick starter/grower--either Manna Pro or Purina. Have used both with my girls hatched in May this year. I used the medicated chick starter/grower; some folks use medicated, some do not. Manna Pro makes good livestock and horse products.

For layers, adults, senior citizens, chickens in molt--basically anyone no longer a pullet, I've used Purina Flock Raiser. Quality has overall been good, however this year's bags seem to have/attract "those little black bugs". My flocks have always been a mixed bag of layers and non-layers so Purina Flock Raiser covers all the bases. As mentioned earlier, when using an all-flock feed, provide separate little bowls of free-choice crushed oyster shells and/or cleaned, crushed eggshells as a calcium supplement.

It ain't no big deal to switch to a layer feed when they start laying.
I feed layer so I don't have to deal with buying the extra stuff and keeping up with keeping it out in a separate feeder.
See if you have any local mills around that mill their own feed. I was initially skeptical about going that route but once I did I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
It's cheaper, my birds do better on it and eat less then what I was getting from feed stores

I use Nutrena Hearty Hen because I couldn’t find a good all flock when I needed it and at least this one is 18% protein instead of 16% like most layer feeds. I like Nutrena’s NatureWise line of feed in general. It’s a little more expensive than their Country Feeds but adds some essential oils and other things I really like.

I found a locally made feed called ADM PenPals Egg Maker that I might give a try. They offer a discount for ordering a subscription (19.99 for 50 lbs). Anyone ever heard of them? It's made in MN.

Planning on getting chicks in the spring. I know they will need chick feed for the first several months of life and then will transition to a layer feed. Once they are old enough for layer feed what feed(s) would you recommend? I'm looking for brand recommendations. It does not need to be organic or non-gmo - just needs to be reasonably nutritious, able to buy in bulk, and not excessively expensive (I don't mind paying a little more for quality, but don't want to pay a ton more for minimal added benefit). Also, I am an avid gardener and we have tons of vegetable scraps to supplement. Chickens will be in a large run since the city I live in does not allow free ranging.
Go to your local store and see which brands they carry/have in stock.
Report back with the brand names.

Brand name isn't too important.
Crumble or pelleted type feed is.
Freshness is important too. Read the dates on the bags.

Local/buying at your nearest feed store is usually always cheaper than buying online and having it shipped.

Back
Top Bottom