1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer Feed & Roos

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Gal, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    When my hens start laying and I switch them to the Layer food, is it okay for the Roos to eat that as well? Or am I going to have to try and figure a way to have 2 feeders, one for the hens, one for the roos?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Mine just eat the layer feed. It would be next to impossible to keep two different feeds available and not have them get in each others. Only way you could do that is to keep them in separate living quarters. I've never asked but I think most people let their roos just eat the layer feed.

Ellen

3. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    mine eat layer feed, hasn't killed em yet

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    If my roos are with hens, I give them layer feed. If by themselves, they get game cock feed.

The roos don't need the extra calcium in the layer feed, but as Ellen said, it would be impossible to feed separate feeds if they are together.

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i let mine eat layer feed but a couple times a week i let him out by him self and throw a hand ful of cat food on the ground for him to eat, this makes up for the low protein in the layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by