Layer Pellets or Crumb...???

av8ersteve

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
Hello all. I have raised my 4 girls (2 Dominiques and 2 Golden Comets) from 1 week old chicks to 12 week old young hens and I am LOVING this and my girls. I simply can't wait to get my FIRST EGG!!! My question is,... Do they like the laying pellets, or the crumb better? Is there a difference? Which one is better for health, digestion, and egg production? So far, they have only gotten crumb food but people have told me I should switch from crumb to pellet when switching them to their layer food which will be coming up pretty soon. So what's the verdict? Pellet or crumb? Thank you for taking the time to help a newbie in this backyard chicken scene. I want to do ALL I can to raise happy, healthy, and hopefully, productive chickens. I am having so much fun, and my girls already really depend on me, and I don't want to let them down.

Also, I want one hen that lays blue eggs. Can someone here help me with that? I just want one chick to raise and then introduce to my other girls. Every place I look wants me to order 5 or more chicks. I only need one. HELP someone......

Thanks with all my heart!
Steve

Welcome to BYC! Feed manufacturers can make the same product into pellets or crumbles. My chickens prefer crumbles. Not all stores will have both choices in their various layer feeds. You'll have to check....
Good luck!

I use mash, and I mix grit in it. Mine are free range and get most of their food outside at this time of the year, sometimes I’d use pellets (if their is no bags of mash left) my ducks prefer the mash and my chickens like both

8166D7EF-2726-46A1-B6D5-B3F09ED7BCD1.jpeg
Hen that lays blue eggs ? you’re looking at
Araucana chickens also known as Easter Eggers

I prefer pellets. Less waste. The crumbles they just scatter all over, but the pellets they do not scatter as much. Chickens seem to like it, so were all happy.

My problem with pellets is when it rains (it rains where I am a lot) the pellets will turn into mush and it will rise like a cake in the oven
After that the chickens don’t touch it

Have a mixed flock right now so they are all on crumble. As soon as the pullets are laying they will be back on pellets asap. Much less waste. Thy may not like it as much, but they won't starve in boycott either.

I will give the pellets a try as soon as they are ready. I don't want them wasting feed. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom