1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer Pellets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wildpeas, Mar 27, 2012.

1. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I am no where near ready for layer pellets but I am getting conflicting information. Some say you can feed layer pellets all the time at maturity and others say that you only feed them during the laying season and the rest of the year they are on a regular duck ration.

What do you do? What are the dangers, if any, of feeding layer pellets year round?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I understood that you feed it during laying time. However my ducks did NOT read the book and have been laying fairly consistently all year round..

That said because i own drakes and have heard conflicting info on them eating layer, i have decided not to use it anymore.. i have free choice oyster shell and use a standard pellet for poultry instead.

Everyone seems A-ok and i have plenty of eggs. I even have some hens brooding babies right now. [​IMG]

I have noticed that their seems to be many ways and options to feeding your birds, basically i think common sense and watching the condition of your birds tells you whether what your doing is working for them. I do free range my birds as well.

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I have fed mine layer pellets after maturity year round for several years with no problems whatsoever. Mine are all in pens. Im glad of this because my food options here are very limited anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by