Layer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hannahbananajo, Nov 2, 2015.

1. hannahbananajo

hannahbananajo New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    Looking to get 12 new hens. We are thinking about 6 different breeds for variety. We already have Leghorns, Americanas and Cuckoos. Any suggestions? Definitely thinking about some Rhode Island reds..

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If you wanna go Production Red, pass on the RIRs. They're nowhere near as good layers as a Red Sex Link, and New Hampshires have much better temperaments. Rhode Islands can get very nasty - not to say all of them are, there are plenty of perfectly nice RIRS - but they do have a defined tendency towards feather picking and meanness.

Beyond Red Sex Links and New Hampshire Reds, for an average backyard laying hen I would recommend Black Sex Links, Plymouth Rocks, Naked Necks (biggest eggs I've ever seen), Orpingtons, and Wyandottes. If production is your bottom line, especially focus on the Sex Links and Rocks, and consider investing in more Leghorns. If you want a very decent producer with a docile personality so the kids can cuddle it, go New Hampshires, Orpingtons, Naked Necks, and Brahmas. If you're OK with a skittish bird but want something that's both a good layer and something flashy to decorate the yard, consider Hamburgs.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If egg production is your main priority, I'd have to also say the red or black sex links and leghorns.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

Good luck in your decision.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If eggs are your main priority, I would suggest going with White Leghorns (for white eggs) and Sex Links (for brown eggs) as these are the hens used in laying houses as they are laying machines. I especially like the Black Sex Links are they are very friendly and hardy. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. I have been especially impressed with their persistence in laying in really cold winter weather. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck in getting loads of eggs.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by