1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

layers and their retirement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nevada Sun, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    HI,, do any of you retire your chickens (layers) after they finish laying, I think it is 2-3 yrs.? Do they only live 5-6 yrs. I will as I just can do away with Henrietta as she and the others are my family (Pets).

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My hens have a home with me for life. That's just the way I am. But I am also just a small flock owner and eggs are not my primary reason for having chickens, just a very nice benefit. For those who rely on egg's and/or sell eggs it's not economical.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    They can live longer than 6 yrs. I still have all my 6+ year old hens, they are more of my ornamental pets than livestock. But the roosters... I only have one that I'll never give away/stew.

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of chickens living to 20 years and of chickens laying as late at 11 years old. They obviously don't lay at the same rate, but once or twice a week isn't bad for an older hen.

Our birds (hens and roos) have a life long home here too. I've always said eggs are just a bonus...chickens are too wonderful not to have! And when they stop laying, its just one less thing to worry about (blowouts, internal laying, eggbound, etc.).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by