Layer's Lodge. Updated Pics Grand Opening Tomorrow

Wow, what can I say "Perfection"! Your wife will have no room for complaints. Are you an architect\\builder? If not you should be.

Thanks for the kind words everyone I really do appreciate them. I will continue to add to my page once the paint is one and the aesthetic details are added.

Quote:
I didn't have any building plans except for the vision of what was in my head. The only thing I had as far as plans when I started was the sketch of what the finished building would look like to show the wife. Give me a few days and I will draw up some plans on how to build it and add them. Hopefully I can finish in time for the next coop contest.
wink.png

Quote:
She is pleased as how it came out. She is not a big fan of the chickens because they "freak her out" she is still a bit afraid of them. She liked them as chicks but now that they are bigger she won't go near them. The neighbors on the other hand make fun of me for going overboard on the building for "just chickens". The kids want me to start a new coop and they want that for their playhouse.

Quote:
That's funny, because my dream job out of high school was to be an architect, but I couldn't afford the amount of college it was going to take to get me there. So now it is just a hobby and a pipedream of what coulda shoulda woulda.

Last edited:
Great job!
Could you tell us the aproximate cost, not including your work...

My husband wanted the same thing, a nice looking building with limited space for roaming and no odor. Maybe I should start building
wink.png

Super job, I too like you love this kind of chalenge. I use building as a stress reliever, once again great job.

Quote:
So far I've got about $900-$950 in it. The roof was by far the most expensive part but far less than the cedar shake that I wanted. I guess rolled roofing or corrugated fiberglass would save on cost but I wanted this look and it matches what I have on our house. I have been able to find a lot of good sales for the materials (I found a 150' roll of 1" chicken wire for $37.00
tongue.png
still giddy about that one). I only have a few things more to purchase and when I am finished the total cost should be around $1000 or so.

I'm still planning the attached run but have most everything to build it.

That's funny, because my dream job out of high school was to be an architect, but I couldn't afford the amount of college it was going to take to get me there. So now it is just a hobby and a pipedream of what coulda shoulda woulda.

It's NEVER too late to go back to school! With a gift like that...wow

Beautiful coop!!​

Here are some interior shots I added to my page. Next onto the run, and if we get a few warm days (not likely) I will try to paint the outside. But, that may have to wait until spring.

Moving the hens outside tomorrow. NONE TOO SOON. I will be glad to get them out of the basement.

12626_pict1369.jpg

12626_pict1371.jpg

12626_pict1373.jpg

12626_pict1385.jpg

12626_pict1387.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom