layers stealing medicated chick feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by operator16, May 15, 2011.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Is this a problem? My gals have been stealing the medicated chick feed I have for the little girls. Do I need to worry about the eggs? I'm not sure what to do about it. Are the eggs safe?

2. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    my question exactly- thank you for posting.

3. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    My layers seem obsessed with the chick food. They will sometimes walk back and forth watching the chicks eat on the other side of the fence. I was wondering if it was a deficiency that they had that they really needed the other food.

4. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Could the hens like the size of the chick food?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Med is usually just amprolum, a thamine blocker that inhibits cocci protozoa from reproducing... no harm done to you or the eggs.

My guess is layers love the chick feed as much as they love cat food, because of the higher protein in it. The cat dish is the first thing my layers go bee-lining for after they are let out.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hens like whatever someone else is eating!!! lol

The only solution is to deny them access to the chicks' feed. Starter is too low in calcium and along with the medication, it isn't right as a diet for the hens, but that doesn't mean they won't gobble it up. Conversely, the chicks should not be eating layer feed either, because of the high calcium.

All birds, of whatever age, can eat flock or grower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by