Laying after dark?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mycookoonest, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    It gets dark here by 4:45. The past 2 days DH has gone out to let them out and has found eggs in the nests. Yesterday we had 3 eggs in the nests and that was before he closed them in at dark. Well this morning he comes in with another one.

Is it common for them to lay after dark? They just started laying last tuesday.
    ETA: We do have christmas lights for extended light in the coop, and DH turned on the warmer bulb last night...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chickens lay on a cycle. About every 25 hours. Some chickens do lay at the same time daily but others don't. Because we changed the time on our clock and the days are shortening for us to the chickens nothing has changed. Their cycle continues on as it has. Some hens also lay during their night time trance like sleep - hence eggs under the roost, etc.

They will not only lay the eggs during the daylight hours.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    what is common for one may not be for another. they have little clocks just like us. i have some that will lay in the dark morning or dark night.

the egg comes when the egg comes. they are on their own cycle.

4. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    sounds like a case of the egg-ferry to me...joke

[​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    As stated, they will lay when they lay but, being that they are just starting they may come around and lay during the day. My EE's were laying during evening milking when they started laying. Now they lay earlier in the day just like the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by