Laying after hatching chicks question

duckducknoob

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2022
Hello,
I have read that it will take a female duck 2-3 months to start laying again after her eggs hatch. My question is about the other hens in the flock; since I did not isolate the broody duck, will it take all of them 2-3 months to start laying again?

Here are the specifics:
-I have a Khaki Campbell over a year old that hatched out 8 ducklings.
-I have a younger rouen (maybe 10 months, not exactly sure - acquired when they where partially grown from someone giving them away) that went broody and sat on several eggs once the Khaki Campbell got serious about setting. This rouen never really built much of a nest and did not hatch any ducklings.
-I have a second Rouen the same age who eventually stopped laying and tried to share the other rouen's "nest" but was never serious about it.
-The last duck which is the same age as the two rouens, is a blue Indian Runner. She was the last to stop laying and only sat on 3 eggs for a few days before giving it up.

The ducklings hatched July 7th and 8th. None of the females are laying yet. All the ducks are together (the mother and the ducklings are in with the 3 other adult females and 2 drakes).

Would you expect all of them to take 2-3 months to start laying again?

Thank you in advance for your insight!

My Mallard hatched out six ducklings and when they were 5 weeks old and rehomed she started laying again right away and still is. Her Sister never stopped laying and neither did any of the rest of my hens but I had them separated from the Momma Duck and ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom