Laying at less than 4 months old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fredvw, Jul 27, 2008.

1. fredvw

fredvw Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I don't post often, read this board regularly. I have been around and raising chickens my whole life, over 40 years. I don't push my chicks or use any medicated feeds. I cull ruthlessly. My laying flock is kept rotated as production lags. Well, enough background.

I puschase some Gold Stars from Hoover's Hatchery and they arrived in March. I don't have the specific date, but it was bewteen the 15th and the end. We had some problems with them due to weather and many were lost at arrival. What chicks made it to us have all survived and grown well. To my surprise the first week of July they started laying eggs. No matter how I figure this they were less than four months old when they started. Now we are getting 14-15 eggs per day from 19 pullets.

Needless to say I am pleasantly surprised by their progress for such a terrible start when they arrived.

Fred

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yayy for eggs!

There is no rule book about egg laying just an normal 'average'. Some lay sooner some later. I had an orp start laying at 16 weeks. I also have a jersey giant be over 30+ weeks to lay. It is almost torture when the wait is pushing 30 weeks! LOL

Enjoy the eggs!

3. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    my two red sex links layed there first eggs yesterday afternoon a couple of days shy of 4 months. Today I found an egg at 7:30 AM from one of my rir's or black sexlink. Same age as the rsl's

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I had better get some hay in the nest boxes. Mine have been squatting for a week or so, their faces are ruddy, combs growing and my first girl to have dewlaps has them in the extreme.

red sex links- golden comets, 10 weeks old. The manager of the co-op told me that if you can get them safely outdoors, early, the light cycle prompts them to get busy. He said it should be no later than 16 weeks.

[​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Squatting is not sign of laying. Squatting is a sign of submission to you. You are the top roo. They are squatting waiting for you to mate them. Give them a nice pat and rub down the back when they squat and they will shake it off and move on.

6. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 4 EE hens that I got the beginning of March and I am still waiting for eggs. I wish they would hurry up. I want to know what colors they will be laying!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by