Laying box vs. brooding box

reishi

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I am new at raising chickens.... but I've always loved chickens and now have 1 rooster and 4 hens. I have a small chicken coop 5' x 7' with 6 laying boxes. Can someone advise me what to do.... I have a hen that all of a sudden
went brooding on me. She began brooding 2 days ago. She will not let anyone near her without being "very grumpy". The other chickens won't even go near her. She's brooding in the laying box that all 4 hens were using to lay their eggs in. I wasn't sure if I wanted baby chicks at first but I wouldn't mind maybe 3 or 4. Is it okay for her to remain in the laying box or does she need different accomodations? I work during the day and I think 2 of the other hens are laying their eggs in with hers when she gets up at some point (which means every day she's sitting on more and more eggs.) The fourth hen is using her own laying box. I think I need to catch her off the nest and "label" 3 or 4 of the eggs and try to take the others daily. Am I right? Also, again, should she be isolated in some way or should I just put some fabric up in front of her for darkness? Hmmm... that still doesn't solve the issue of the other hens not laying their eggs in with hers.... unless the fabric would detour them to stay out. Any suggestions? Told you I'm new at this.
roll.png

Ridgerunner- Thanks for the welcome. I read your forum that you suggested and it makes a lot of sense. We have 3 separate runs that come off from the chicken coop to move them around a bit .... to give different areas
"a rest" when needed. I think what I need to do is put my brooder in some sort of nesting box (closed in- but with the others) within whichever run the others are using for the time being. In other words put her in a small fenced enclosed spot within the fenced area. Wow.... sounds like a plan.... but I better get moving on it. Thanks again....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom