Laying Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JReedy72, May 15, 2009.

1. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    Hey Everyone,

My girls are almost 4 months old, and I figure may start laying soon, right? I can't wait!

They are still on started feed. Should I go to regular feed soon?

Also, about the laying boxes. I built a box this weekend that is 24" x 12", and sides that are about 5 or 6 inches tall. There is a 5 inch wall in the middle. Is that sufficient? I have to get some clean shavings and put in there. Anyway, any thought would be appreciated. Iwill post a picture in a day or two.

Thanks,

Jason

2. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Not a thing wrong with what you made!

I have had an OEG bantam lay her eggs right on top of a blue plastic barrel, no shavings, nothing, just the hard surface. She laid 6 eggs there before I found them. Go figure! [​IMG]

You could wait until your first egg to start the layer ration. Since I'm always having birds of different ages I feed either Purina Flock Raiser or Nutrena Pullet Developer and offer oyster shell free choice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
  3. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Well mine are only 8 weeks, so a long way from laying, but I just have plastic milk crates I'm going to use. They'll be lined up on a work shop table, and attached together with zip ties! My coop is a converted work shop so the table was built into it. It has a shelf, and then the top. I'm hoping it works OK for them!

I also have two dog houses in the run, so they could use those if they wanted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by