Laying cam to a complete halt

MotherofCluckers3

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2023
I have a silkie mix I believe. I got her from a neighbor. She started laying around 10/30 and laid for 12 -14 days. She laid 12 eggs and then just stopped. I’m in Southern California, so it is t cold just yet although the days are shorter. She seems fine. She’s eating, drinking, lalaying and bossing everyone around. She even comes running to me when she see me in the yard. I only have 2 other hens that are laying and they have been laying for about a week and I have two legbars that have not begun to lay. Is there something I should be looking for? I’m starting to get worried about little Lucy.
IMG_4672.jpeg

I have a hen who stopped laying due to molting. Then she laid 4 eggs over the course of a week. And stopped.

If she is behaving normally, I would think everything is ok. She will probably start up again after the Solstice.

It is not the temperature, it is the light. If your days are getting shorter, that will stop them from laying. Chickens and other birds are seasonal layers, over centuries humans have extended the laying season, but there comes a time, when they just stop and rest. Light is what causes that.

Many people get better laying with added light to the coop to counter act that, but even that will only do so much.

Mrs K

I have a silkie mix I believe. I got her from a neighbor. She started laying around 10/30 and laid for 12 -14 days. She laid 12 eggs and then just stopped. I’m in Southern California, so it is t cold just yet although the days are shorter. She seems fine. She’s eating, drinking, lalaying and bossing everyone around. She even comes running to me when she see me in the yard. I only have 2 other hens that are laying and they have been laying for about a week and I have two legbars that have not begun to lay. Is there something I should be looking for? I’m starting to get worried about little Lucy. View attachment 3686750
The temperature doesn't have an effects on laying, the light cycle does. The days being shorter have signaled her to take a much needed break from laying. Once the days start to get longer she will resume laying. <3

Back
Top Bottom