Laying egg without shell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rbum, Feb 17, 2019.

1. rbum

rbum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    I have a 3 year old white leghorn hen laid egg without shell today. I had one before get infection from this last year. Forgot how to treat hen so she doesn’t get an infection. Any info?

staceyj likes this.
  2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    what do you do for calcium? Its most likely they are calcium deficient.

3. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    These membrane eggs are sometimes called "stress-eggs". My chickens lay these when I first get them, and they are too stressed to correctly produce an egg. Sometimes, it just happens for no reason. I'm surprised you had a chicken get an infection from one! Mine are always fine after laying them. when my chickens get infections, I give them apple cider vinegar in their water, and I also give them colloidal silver. Hope this helps!

PrincessLay-a likes this.
  4. PrincessLay-a

PrincessLay-a In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
  5. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Scotts Hill, TN
    It's not uncommon for an egg to be laid without a shell. Chances of another infection is not that great since such eggs are laid with membranes. Just be sure to feed a good diet. Oyster shell also helps provide calcium.

6. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Was it a fully formed egg just minus the shell? Just a yolk? Any membrane at all?
    I personally would supplement her calcium ASAP (starting today), for several days- a week.
    Even tums will do in a pinch,
    But 1/2 caltrate +D3 is better (although 10x more expensive).

If she was just starting to lay I wouldn’t be alarmed, but at 3 years of age it could be a reproductive problem such as your other one had. internal laying, salpingitis, etc .

You may want to do an internal exam (with glove and lubrication) to see if anything was left behind in there.

micstrachan and Eggcessive like this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

+1 to exactly what @staceyj said. Get this girl on calcium ASAP and see uf it helps.

Has she had any respiratory symptoms in the past?

staceyj and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: