Laying eggs in a hole? Help

Flashy2003

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Connecticut
Hi, My chickens that I hatched earlier this year just started to lay. I don't know which chicken is doing this yet. But they are laying one every day. The problem is they are laying in a little hole they dug in the pen. At first I was putting the eggs in the nest box but they still like the hole. How do I get them to use the box? I think maybe the nesting boxes are to small? I build them according to bantam size. But my silkies are fairly larger than I though they were going to be. Any advise?

I have larger hens but I was wondering if you have a golf ball or fake egg in your nesting boxes to encourage your chickens to lay there. The other thought is to keep your chickens in their coop until afternoon so that they will seek out a private place to lay, "Oh, this must be a good place to lay since someone has already left one, it's nice and cozy too, Bok".:
wink.png

Yes, that's kind of what I had in mind with putting the eggs they laid in the boxes. And I can keep them in the coop a little longer. That should also help. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom