Laying eggs in the run

mommabock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 13, 2013
I have a hen that just started laying eggs a couple days ago and the first egg she left in the nesting box, but today it was just sitting in the run. I panicked because I was afraid it was broken or would be stepped on. As a first time chicken owner, eggs feel like the holy grail LOL. Should I worry about this? I've done eggs in the nests and made sure they are padded and comfy. I also added a picture of my updated coop. We built nearly all of it from reclaimed wood.

I just have to say, that's a really cute coop! I'm afraid I can't be helpful with the egg thing, though.
idunno.gif

M
I have a hen that just started laying eggs a couple days ago and the first egg she left in the nesting box, but today it was just sitting in the run. I panicked because I was afraid it was broken or would be stepped on. As a first time chicken owner, eggs feel like the holy grail LOL. Should I worry about this? I've done eggs in the nests and made sure they are padded and comfy. I also added a picture of my updated coop. We built nearly all of it from reclaimed wood.
. My two hens lay behind the feeder and poop in the nests. They aren't interested in laying where I have designated. I'm at the point where they are gonna do what they want not what I want. Now I just know where to find the eggs

Your coop looks great!! I had the same problem with my littlest RIR she would lay in the run MY lil RIR is last in pecking order so I felt my other two were kicking her out of the coop, I took a step back back and looked at my coop, I increasead the size of the next box, and I lowerd it I added more nest material, and added an extra roost. My coop is not very big, but I now realize my nest box was too small for my ladies. I made these changes about two weeks ago, and since then, I have a very steady amount of eggs, and every other day i will find three eggs in one box, and every other day i will find one egg in one box and two eggs in the other, maybe your ladies just need more space to lay.

How many ladies do you have? and YES finding eggs in the box, is always the highlight of the day : ) lol

I have a third hen laying now she lays in the nest while the other two lay behind the feeder in the ground. At least this ones got a clue it is what it is

Back
Top Bottom