1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying eggs in water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeeDee60, Aug 6, 2016.

1. DeeDee60

DeeDee60 New Egg

Aug 6, 2016
    Does anyone have a Duck that lay's her eggs in the water? She is a new layer this year and for the last several weeks she has laid her eggs in the chicken/Duck pen and all has been good. The last three days she has been laying in their little pool. I have two pools for them, a big cattle tank and a kids wadding pool. Of course, when she lays in the wadding pool the egg turns into the creation of membrane and Yoke. How can I encourage her to lay inside again like she used to do, and why would she lay in the pool??

2. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Maybe she enjoys a water birth. [​IMG]

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mine usually lay before I let them out in the AM. But some days they go off and lay in entertaining places or just drop one when they are walking along through the yard. I don't normally worry about it. But if she's been doing it for a few days, maybe just keep her locked up longer in the AM until she lays in the house/pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by