laying eggs

CraziChickLady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
North Carolina
when do rir and barred rock start to lay? i have 2 rir and 1 barred rock all around 21 - 22 weeks...its just the beging of winter and still no eggs!!! im getting impatient , will they lay this winter?

they will probably start laying soon. the numbers you usually see around as to when they lay are just estimates not exact numbers. there are so many factors that can delay laying. for example you have to keep in mind that winter is just about here so the days are shorter. which in turn mean less eggs and a possible delay on them laying period. so my advice would be just give them a little more time, make sure they are eating good, and they will figure it out soon enough. its not always an exact science just have to be patient.

I live in the north GA mountains in Ellijay and have Barred Rocks that lay all winter w/o added
light in their coop. I like to let them 'go natural' so don't add light - laying definitely slowed down
but did continue with the BRs. I now have Australorps that also are supposed to be good layers throughout the winter months - so far so good with them. I also have Welsummers and EEs and the Wellies are not laying much but some and the EEs have stopped totally. Luckily I have
enough pullets that I never have a shortage of eggs no matter what the season.
Your BRs should start laying any time now and there is nothing like
finding that FIRST EGG IN THE NEST! The coolest part though is that
no matter how long you have chickens it never 'gets old' to go out to
the coop to 'gather the eggs'. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have 10 RIR. They will start 4-6 months. Mine lay all winter long here in SC. They will slow also. 10 hens from Saturday to Friday I usually get over 5 dozen eggs. In the winter 3-4 dozen. I do have a street light with an amber light that shines in there coop. I think the light really helps them.

Back
Top Bottom