Laying hen laying in the broody's nest- what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetappleacres, Aug 4, 2013.

1. sweetappleacres

sweetappleacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    I have a hen that just went broody 2 days ago. all 3 of my hens like to lay in the same nest in the same spot. My concern is that as the broody sets and the other gets in the nest w her that she'll see that egg and want to place it underneath her, which will result in staggered hatchlings. What should I do? I have another nest in there w/ 2 buckets that they could use as well but they want to lay in the one box!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If I have a broody setting in the coop and I know the other hens may want to use her box, I mark her eggs with a non-toxic marker, so when I collect eggs I know which are being incubated and which are fresh. I check for and remove all the fresh ones twice a day. Is it possible that you can somehow block their access to the broody's box? At least for part of the day, so she can still get up for a break now and then? With the other hens squeezing in there to lay there is a risk that her eggs might get broken.

3. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I have my first broody hen (well two of them) laying on over 3 doz eggs because of this problem :( Once we get a few hatchings in a week, the other eggs are going in the worm farm or to the dogs (as long as they are not spoiled)!!!!!!! Next time I get a broody, mark the eggs on day 2 or so, then collect the rest day after day.
    My two hens laying on SO many eggs look so silly, but they are doing a great job of covering them well!!!!!! ;)

4. sweetappleacres

sweetappleacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    The good thing is that both that are currently on the nest lay different shaped eggs. I know the broody's eggs are smaller & rounder and the other's is bigger and more pointy at the small end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by