Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
I felt Boots' tummy this afternoon and it's really gone down a lot.
I have noticed her drinking but not excessively.
I might even think about knocking the medication down to 0.1 or maybe lower if it continues to work for her till I find a balance.
I've been told it's really potent stuff, so if she can manage with less it's got to be a good thing.

She hasn't laid since this started, but I assume I should discard her eggs should she lay any ?

I'm really glad the dandelions work. Poor bluebell, hope the limp improves.

I probably woouldn't eat the eggs.

I can't find any Lasix. I do have a source for it a supplier, but he says he doesn't have any and won't get any as it's too expensive and not enough demand. He told me that Bitsy almost certainly has ovarian cancer, that it's common for BR's to get Ascites/ Ovarian Cancer, seems to be breed specific.
sad.png
I even asked my husband to look through his old meds, lol, as he used to take that stuff.

Anyway, she's not responding real well to the dandelion, maybe slightly. Today I added Milk Thistle supplement to her food too......it's got dandelion in it also

When I was reading pages of stuff about Ascites it did mention cancer. Poor little girl.
Is it not available over the counter where you are ? Or do you need a prescription too ?
You can get the tablets online which you can grind up but getting the dose right would be challenging.

Boots is eating but not anything like flipflop , her crop isn't full at bedtime and she does eat but less.
I think being around flipflop encourages her though.
Hopefully she will get her appetite back.

Yes, I have a friend who's a poultry expert and I think that's what his concern is too, is figuring out the dose. He pointed out that we'd only be prolonging the inevitable, anyway. Your situation is a little different because yours probably does have a heart problem, but Bitsy is just barely two years old, and we have ruled out internal laying...so....
sad.png

She is not eating very well either now. Of course not, as the fluid is building. And it's very hot here. Still, she remains cheerful. She got out this morning and would have returned to the flock, if we would let her.
sad.png

Really sorry to hear about Bitsy. She sounds such a good soul. I hope she gets a bit longer with you.

Boots lost her appetite too, she's still not eating loads. She goes to bed with some food in her crop but nothing like the golf ball that flipflop has.
Her size and shape have altered so much over the last couple of days, she looks right now.

I gave her 0.1 today and am gonna do that for the rest of the week and see how she does.
My hubby's saying I should put them back with their flock - not in with them straight off, but so they can see each other again.
I've gotten used to them being in the garden, but I know it's what they need. It's also safer as far as neighbourhood cats goes.
I'm going to have them in their tractor and put it in the pen so I can continue to build up boots a bit more I think.

Although I will still see them every day it will be strange not not see little beaks at the window wanting to come in.

That's good and they will be happier with their flock. Good to introduce gradually, as you said. Thank you for the best wishes, my son's been taking care of the flock for me ...he sometimes does that on his days off, even though he doesn't live at home anymore, the chickens were his originally. So I get a break for a couple of days. He says she feels heavy still but is carrying on ok so far.

Heya
Just wondering how bitsy and bluebell are doing ? Well I hope.

Boots is having her daily medication. I'm giving her 0.1 and it's keeping her fluid free. I gradually integrated them with my porcelain sablepoots and their babies and they seem happy and settled. Boots has become her usual vivacious self and has stopped following flipflop round for support.

There's obviously an underlying problem with her heart but at least for now she's ok.

Best wishes x

Hi, thanks for asking. I've been giving Bitsy 120 mg (roughly) of Milkthistle per day, split between morning and evening meals. I sprinkle it on her food. I am amazed that it SEEMS to have stopped the fluid buildup. Not that the fluid is gone, but she does not have much, and it does not seem to be increasing. She is cheerful and eating and pooping fine. I am considering letting her go, although I'm afraid that she would decline again if I was not able to continue with the supplement, and I don't think that would be possible if she rejoins our free range flock. Also I think the stress of being chased around by the roos wouldn't be good for her, they always did think of her as a hottie, lol. Anyway, for now she is still with Bluebell in the tractor on nice days or our big pen in the barn in the constant rain we've been having lately. Bluebell is still very lame. I am beginning to wonder if she will ever be able to walk well enough to go out. So, for now, they have each other, and although I know they both are dying to go out, they are OK where they are.

Glad to hear that Boots is doing well.

I also learned that Barred Rocks (which Bitsy is) seem to be very susceptible to Ascites. It's believed that it's because they are bred to be prolific layers, and so they often contract ovarian cancer as a result.

Back
Top Bottom