Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
When i drained Boots i made three punctures about one inch down from her vent at the right and left so that when she was stood gravity would help her drain. She is very small even for a sablepoot but hopefully youll get the jist. I too used an 18 gauge but i didnt have a syringe so she drained naturally. She lost over 200ml and slept and was very very quiet afterwards which was a big worry. I kept her warm and quiet and the next day she was much brighter. By no means 100% but more inquisitive and reactive.
She was so bloated that she stood like a cowboy with her legs apart. It was do or die. Without kathy's expertise she wouldnt be here (THANK YOU)

I wish you both well. At the end of the day you love her and you're trying to help and you have all of us supporting you so dont be afraid.

Lots of love

If this is for me then thank you, I appreciate it. I agree Kathy is very knowledgeable and very helpful! We will try deff try again! Just afraid of going too far n poking an organ or something. We're trying to be very careful though.

Ouch. Vets are expensive. Try the Milkthistle, especiallly if it is a liver problem, it might help her. You can get it at the drugstore.

When you say you get none, what do you get when you insert the needle? Blood? Air?

Last edited:
Ouch.  Vets are expensive.  Try the Milkthistle, especiallly if it is a liver problem, it might help her.  You can get it at the drugstore.

When you say you get none, what do you get when you insert the needle?  Blood?  Air?

Ok we'll try it, don't know how to use it though. Uhm no, absolutely nun. Just air. She's still laying and acting perfectly normal.

Ok we'll try it, don't know how to use it though. Uhm no, absolutely nun. Just air. She's still laying and acting perfectly normal.

I posted this earlier in this thread, but we bought 240mg Milkthistle, open the capsule and give her 120 mg per day, split between morning and evening. Sprinkled on food or a treat. So that's about 1/4 capsule per serving. She's a bantam BR, so she weighs about 3 lbs. Might need more for a bigger hen, but probably not much more.

Back
Top Bottom