Laying hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by justin shrew, Nov 19, 2013.

1. justin shrew

justin shrew Chillin' With My Peeps

HI everyone, im the new member, and i' have those serious problem with our hens, we'v got them since they were 4 days old, we tame them, as that now they are 36 weeks old, and i' have heard that they will start laying between 20-26 weeks. every morning they forange around the yard, we had provide for them a nest box, but they much prefer to lay outside wich is a bad thing, we lost 4 hens last summer to a fox. am I' doing wrong of letting them to forange or is there a way to incorage them to lay in the nest-box? any advise will be appreciated"

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll probably have to lock them in a few days till they start using the nest. Also make the nests more inviting. Chickens like a darker more secluded spot to lay. It also helps to put golf balls or fake eggs in the nest.
    Once they start laying inside you can let them out. They're creatures of habit so whatever they start doing they'll keep doing.

3. justin shrew

Thanks you so much Ch"canoe, for your advise i' will have to lock them for days until they get use to lay in the coop, and let them frerange after they finish laying, one of my serious problem i' have for now, on of my favorite bantam hen called lewiz has gone broody in the guarden,and im am perfectly sure she has a nest full of eggs, i' havnt seen her for two days, and early in the morning i' saw her hanging with ben (rooster). our guarden has been let wild, thick hight grasses,thorn scrubs the's no way i' can walk force my self in, how can i' get her?and how to solve this problem, because i' don't want her to become a meal,for now im glade she's still alive but i' know she won't make it, what will happen if i' catch her and lock her inside the cook and provide her a new nest to continue?if i' do will she continue to sit? we also have a broody guineahen that is sitting on large clutch of eggs, and im thinking of giving her some of those eggs. im really down of wanting those chicks"

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

You got to find the nest and move her to a safe location.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! She most likely will continue to sit on the eggs in a new location if she's already been sitting, good luck to you.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll have to watch where she goes and cut a path to the nest.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. justin shrew

Ok this is what i' did, earlia i' saw her infront of the garage door, and im sure she was taking a break, i' gave her some ch-starter, and fresh water, while the rest of the flock were roaming around the yard, she took a dustbath,squacking loudly like trying to say "im proud" i' nearly miss her, she sneaked off like a fox, but she didn't see me. followed her, it was so hard for me to walk right through' thicker scrubs, it wasn't that far from the gate gaurden, i' will try to post some pics of her nest later, (a generally hidden spot that was created among tall grass with 23 eggs) So i' locked her up in the coop, i' placed her with her clutch in the corner of the coop. but sadly she look gamey she didn't want to sit, I' had thought that mayb she's afraid of me of ataring at her, so left her for about 30 minutes, when i' came back again she was percing on the door, she totally abandon it, so i' cooped her in the cage to make sure she don't go back to her nest again, and her eggs in the incubator, dealing with chicks by myself is'nt what i' wanted but as long she's still alive. thanks to all of you guys i' appreciate every single word you said""""""""""

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could dispose of the eggs if you don't want to incubate them., 23 is probably more eggs than she ever could cover. Now that you have your hen under wraps, she will probably still feel broody and lay a new clutch of eggs. If not, it won't be long I'm sure till she goes broody again. You may want to keep your birds in an enclosed run, so you know what they are up to, and she gets her visits with the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by