LAYING IN ROOST SAND BOX

ChristieDB

Chirping
Mar 17, 2018
Statesboro, Georgia
Have now had three separate occasions where I have found two eggs in the sandbox under the roost. One normal egg and one flat egg— basically tissue paper thin egg. I have to believe its one (or two) of my 2 year old hens because of the location and color. Our new chicks aren’t quite to lay age and the color is all wrong for them.

First time I thought odd but didn’t worry, second time I thought very odd and I worried a little, I gave extra calcium and protein to the big girls. This time I’m very concerned.

they go to bed around 8pm and are able to get out in the morning when they wake up and have total access to nesting boxes.

is this normal?

What about the thin egg? I’ve had concerns about one of our girls because her feathers have been all out of sorts since switching to flock raiser and supplementing oyster shell while the babies grow up. We still have about 4 more weeks til I can put them back on layer feed. Do you think this could have something to do with all of it?

The soft eggs just happen sometimes. Usually to older layers, but sometimes to pullets or hens returning to laying after a molt. Basically the shell doesn't get enough calcium and doesn't finish forming. The switch in feed might have something to do with it. Maybe one of them isn't eating the oyster shell. Sometimes the soft eggs get laid in super weird places because it doesn't feel like an egg coming out. I have seen my hen lay one in the middle of the yard and keep on walking.

I’ve had concerns about one of our girls because her feathers have been all out of sorts since switching to flock raiser and supplementing oyster shell
Literally or figuratively?

She may not be eating the OS because she doesn't get it'.
Is OS in a separate feeder?
It can help to sprinkle some on the ground or a few pieces on top of feed.

Literally or figuratively?

She may not be eating the OS because she doesn't get it'.
Is OS in a separate feeder?
It can help to sprinkle some on the ground or a few pieces on top of feed.
Literally— she’s ost all her chest feathers. She seems fine in every other way- but I am sure she’s laying the tissue paper egg in the roost!

We have the oyster shell separate- but I do sprinkle too.

Literally— she’s ost all her chest feathers.
Weird, is another bird picking her?
Pics?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592438888901.png

My hen just laid soft eggs under the roost for the past two nights oh, I've had chicken's for about 28 years and this happens from time to time sometimes it's just a glitch and their reproductive or like the other person said it happens in over hens or when hens start laying again or during molt... sometimes things go a little wacky but I would definitely up the oyster shell and sprinkle more on the food and see if it helps.

Weird, is another bird picking her?
Pics?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2200048

Im in se Georgia — outside of Savannah

I have not witnessed anyone picking her - and she’s pretty high on the pecking order. We’ve confirmed no bugs, etc... the only thing I can trace back to is the change in feed when we introduced pullets into the flock

1DD3D293-5468-4638-A410-072B8043678B.jpeg
2DB31853-05FD-4B7C-BAA5-2818F66AE876.jpeg

It looks red in the pic but it’s not really- I think it was how I was holding her.

But it’s her whole underbelly

Was going to say looks like over-full crop was rubbing on roost...
....but whole belly is another matter, is her butt bare too?
Not sure it has anything to do with the feed.
She may be picking at herself.

Butt is fluffy- it’s just underneath- it’s so weird!
Does she sleep on a roost?
Maybe she was thinking of going broody and plucked her belly.
Have had birds go 'bald' for a plethora of reasons(most unknown),
bothers us more than them.
As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK I don't worry about it much...can't solve a problem unless you know the cause.<shrugs>

Back
Top Bottom