Laying in same nesting box?

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
Why are they laying in the same nesting box??????????? 4 of our 7 are laying, however all keep going into the same box.
barnie.gif
We have more than enough nesting boxes............... So far no broken eggs.
th.gif
What should I do if anything?? Thanks all as usual for your great advice.
frow.gif

For some unknown (to me at least) reason they all like the same nest box. They will sometimes stand in line and wait for it, other times the less patient will climb on top of the occupant and lay her on egg on/beside the occupant.

I think its just one of those quirks of chicken psychology that we just have to shake our heads at and move on.

My Husband and I were talking about this last night. We wanted to rearrange the coop and didn't know if we should keep all the boxes because they were only using one out of six. Thank goodness I watch Animal planet:D My best guess is the old "saftey in numbers" idea. Most prey animals herd or flock together so that enough of them survive predation in order to continue the species. Cooperatively raising young increases these chances.
Or they could just be using the same box so I don't have to walk as far to gather eggs:lol:
Silly birds.

Maybe that is why some prefer, "community nests." They are larger than the common sized nests we all make. Hhhmmm, today I got 2 eggs (my first ones since 1 soft shell a few days ago), and they were both in the same nest. I am thinking maybe I will take out one of the partitions, and make 2 nests into one larger community nest.

I have three nest boxes for thirteen hens as well, mine are all laying and took a while before they started to use the second nest but they wont use three, my new coop will have large nest boxes about 2 1/2 feet wide by 1 1/2 feet deep, they will probably go back to useing one nest again then, knowing chickens I wouldn't put it past em.

Chickens are wierd!
hu.gif
Since I first posted this my flock is changing AGAIN.
idunno.gif
I came home this afternoon and discovered that my experiment worked. I took one of those large plastic cat litter containers which had been sitting upright and laid it down. I was shocked today to find that someone had laid an egg in it.
clap.gif
They still stand in line for one of those all famous Target plastic storage bins, but at least now they are getting more comfortable with additional places. We also have a couple cardboard boxes from Costco which happen to be in the perfect shape and size of a "nesting box" and they immediately went in to check it out. I'll be anxious to see if there are any eggs in it?? This is just so interesting.

Back
Top Bottom