1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying...now no eggs for 4 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tomcassie1998, Oct 10, 2008.

1. tomcassie1998

tomcassie1998 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I have an Americuna hen and she was laying 3 eggs every week. Then we got rid of our roosters do to city living, now she hasn't layed an egg in 4 weeks. Is there something wrong with her or is this normal?

Thanks
    Cassie

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Is she by herself now or do you have another hen or two to keep her company? Chickens are social animals. She is probably missing her mate. Also, you have changed the dynamics of the flock, and that is stressful. It will probably take her a while to get back into the swing of things.

3. tomcassie1998

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I have another hen, but she is a little younger and has not started laying yet. Thanks for your help

4. littlemommatoo

littlemommatoo New Egg

Oct 9, 2008
    She is probably stressed because of the move and all the changes, she also could be moulting.
    Littlemomma

5. tomcassie1998

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank you for your help. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with her.

6. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    She could be egg bound too, but I'd bet she is just molting. All my birds dropped all their feathers last week (right before the CMBF poultry show [​IMG] )

7. tomcassie1998

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I am a newbie....what is egg bound?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by