Laying on the drop board :(

Grammahen

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Southern New Hampshire
How can I get one of my chickens to stop laying on the drop board? I need to fix this! I will find them broken and on the floor sometimes and now they are starting to eat them. I have tried a few things like when I see her up there ready to lay, I put her in the nest box. But then she just runs out to the run and comes back later. I have tried putting buckets on top to deter her but she just pushes them off or lays on top or near them. I even put a giant pool floaty up there in the morning only to come back later to finding it on the floor. She should have figured where to lay eggs by now. They have been laying for about 2 months!

I would probably loose the drop board for a couple of weeks....get her used to laying in the right place then install it and see what happens. If it continues modify the board so it isn't so inviting. Maybe a good slope on it or make it smaller.

lock her in the nest box until she lays, she should figure out after a few times. Also, if you see her on the drop board, smack her off of it. You are the rooster and need to lay down the rules. It will be one of the few times you will be able to smack a female and have any good come from it.

Back
Top Bottom