laying on the floor

sumpenny

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Hi everyone. I'm so excited! One by one my hens have begun laying. We are up to 3 eggs a day. Today when I went to the coop to check on things, there were 3 eggs in the nests and 2 eggs on the floor. What gives? Why would they lay on the floor and how can I get her to stop? I appreciate your thoughts

how many wooden eggs do you keep in the nesting boxes you expect them to use? I have 3 wooden eggs in each of my 6 nesting boxes. I have only had eggs for a few weeks now, but I have not found any except the ones in the nesting boxes.

I started with some golf balls in the nests, but then once the eggs started coming, I took them out because I thought they had it all figured out. Then 2 weeks later I discovered 2 eggs on the floor of the coop. It isn't really a dark nook. In fact, it's more of right smack in the middle of the coop. Its so weird. Should I put the golf balls back?

One laid in the run yesterday, and I find an egg in the door way each day. I dunno. I am new at this and don't think 'chicken' yet. I have new girls getting into it everyday. All I can assume when I find an egg in the door way, is that they were lined up for "The good nest" because the others apparently aren't where the 'cool' chickens lay. I can mix the nest boxes up, move them around, but they all want the place where the first layer lays.
Do chickens smell? (I mean with their noses? beaks...nostrils.) Can they smell? Could they be smelling where another hen laid, and if it is occupied they will try to wait her out? maybe I will move some straw around tomorrow. Golf balls and other eggs don't seem to count with my lot.

I swear, I think sometimes it just surprises them when they're first starting, like they aren't sure what's coming out their butt (poop??or...ow ow ow!!!) and they just happen to be outside in the run, or in the middle of the coop, or - worse - up on the roost. I've had really realistic looking fake eggs in my nests from the get-go, and for the most part all the girls get it, and go there, but even now I'll find an egg a week or so in the oddest, exposed, really-not-appropriate place. It will get better, they'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Chickens can't really smell so good, but they do go by sight. I found that when I removed fake eggs, they wanted to find another place. I figured they thought the old place wasn't safe as something took their eggs.

Well a few days ago I had to remove some soiled shreaded paper I use for straw in the nesting boxes and also removed the eggs to wash while I did all that. They were promptly replaced. I never plan on removing mine. First of all I want my eggs in there, not laid anywhere. Then if a snake shows up I want it eating the wooden egg, so I can catch it trying to escape through the chicken wire. Then if I get a broody, the eggs will encourage it to use a suitable place to brood and I will notice what she is up to. Its like, the wooden eggs are part of my permanant nesting box set up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom