Laying question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadof4, Oct 30, 2008.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I had three B.O hens and lost two to a dog attack a couple of weeks ago. They were about seven months old and one had been laying for about a month.
    So I went and bought some older hens (suppose to be this years birds?) in order to try to regain something for the year. So I now have a few that are suppose to be laying but I'm only getting like one from them. I know which one is laying so I guess I am trying to figure out if I should worry or I just bid my time because of the season. Thanks.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How long have you had the new hens for ??

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Sometimes when you move hens from one location to another they will stop laying for a while until they readjust to their new surroundings. I would not worry just yet. [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with Pumpkinpup. Just hopefully they aren't internal layers

5. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I've had them for about a week and a half. The one that I know is laying has done so about every other day, but a couple of days in a row. Then I caught one laying a small egg one day and since then nothing. The one Buff that survived is almost seven monthes old and still nothing. I really miss my other girls. They where soo sweet.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry for the loss of your favorites. Hopefully the newbies will grow on you. Yep, chickens hate change, and need time to ajust, just like you. [​IMG]

Good luck, and hope the new hens make you happy.

bigzio

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Some hens need longer to adjust to new homes, that could be a reason... also the shorter days make egg laying less !! Maybe both of those together are a reason they arent laying !! They are eating layer feed ?? You could also try adding a few extra hours of light to the coop either in the morning or night, they need about 14.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

yep the new strange environment, different feed, new owners, and different light schedule can mess up a chickens laying schedule. They should start laying in 2-3 weeks though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by