laying questions-please help. ^.^

megan94

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
iv hatched 3 ducks from incubation.
they are my first three ever. theyre now 5 months old and i was wondering if and when they are going to lay eggs
they have a fenced off area in my backyard and a little hutch like structure the sleep in and go in when its hot.
now i usually let them out of their area to roam around the yard.
my MAIN question is
if i do not give them a nesting box-will they make a nest of their own?

welcome-byc.gif
megan94

Many ducks will just lay eggs anywhere on the ground when they first start to lay, but providing a nest box and not letting them out from the hutch until after she has laid will help encourage her to use the nest. My ducks mostly lay before they are let out each morning- but there are also a few nests made around the yard- in corners and out of the way areas, where I also look for eggs when I get home from work each day. They may just lay all over for a while- but in time they should find a nice secluded area where they can make a nest and lay an egg.

big_smile.png
thank yah soooo much!
the thought of possibly having lil ducklings peep around is just so exciting >w<

Most good layers will start laying between 4 and 5 months (or a little after). But when they mature in the Fall, they will sometimes wait until the next Spring to start, when the days start to get longer. Enjoy!

thanks much for the reply.
i have been wondering if they are going to lay though...iv recently found that they are 2 females and 1 male.
the females have been laying down a lot..but..abrupt. and the male duck was biting the females head..idk if..like..i should stop them or what?
they also keep going under the porch..<.< >.> idk...it is getting close to fall now. lol these ducks have me freaking out

Quote:
If they can get under your porch it will be an ideal place for them to lay and brood, but you might not be able to see whats going on till you hear ducklings peeping, We closed off all areas around the house so they wouldn't crawl under any where and lay that we couldn't get to. Mine have a house to go into to lay their eggs and use it. It's safe and easy for me to go in and collect or let them sit.

Back
Top Bottom