Laying quetsion

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rgn87, Jul 13, 2010.

1. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I have three hens all around 5 months old. One of my hens (I assume it is Terry) has been laying for about a week and a half now, I have recovered 8 eggs. My other hens have not laid a single egg. Is this maybe because different ducks lay at different times? The hen that is laying is much bigger and matured and feathered about two weeks faster than these hens also. Any insights you have would be helpful.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Sure, it's perfectly normal.

They all mature at slightly different times just as humans do -- my neighbor's 14 year old grandson already looks like he could grow a full beard and mustache if he wanted to. I didn't have to start shaving daily until I was a sophomore in college.

They'll all start laying by the time they're about 7 months old at the absolutely latest.

Duck eggs are the best for baking.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    They probably will start laying soon enough. If they free range check around for other nests ducks are great hiders of there nests.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Of my eleven runners, someone started laying about a month ago, and now we have four or five steady layers, and a few who are just starting up, and I don't expect Elfie to start laying until about a month after everyone else is on board, based on her rate of development.

It has given me time to get geared up, as I expect that at the height of laying season, we will receive eight eggs a day.

5. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    Awesome thanks for the reassurance. I am going to test the baking thing this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by