Laying time??? Is my hen late???

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
So it's getting around fall here, and I have had this one hen since early spring, and she still isn't laying! I have a rooster too, and she does hide from him sometimes, but when I block him off, she still doesn't leave the coop! I'll put the rooster in the smaller run and her in the bigger and she'll try to get back to the smaller run and into the coop, even if it means going through the rooster. I've put a fake egg, but she pecks at it and/or generally ignores it. I'm worried my poor baby might have something clogging her vent. Any answers will be very appreciated!

So, what breed is it? Six months is normal for a lot of breeds. A photo of her comb may help, too. How many hens do you have?
It's a bearded silkie, and I can't see her comb. I just have her (The other hen was lost recently) and I'd like to hatch one of her eggs in the spring. And if she isn't laying now, and I know she isn't going to lay in the winter, then I might not have time in the spring. I'm really worried!

Hmm... hopefully someone will come along and let us know the normal POL for silkies. I've never had them, so I'm not sure.

Also, if they start in the fall they usually will lay into the winter some. Not ideal for sitting unless you are somewhere mild, though.

Pullets are like children, no two are exactly alike and may be very different! I have worried, years ago, about pullets not laying in the normal time frame, but have usually found that they did lay in their own time. I have had birds not lay until nearly nine months old then start and lay as well as previous birds. I have also had hens sit in the late fall here in Tennessee and hatch eggs! Good luck! Have a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy the show the birds provide. I am a hypocrite though! I am always anxiously waiting for a new flock to start laying! I don't worry about it, I am just impatient. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom