Laying too frequently???

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Oh my, what do I do? My RIR laid her 10th egg in a row without a break. My SS laid her 7th egg in a row without a break so far. I don't know if this is normal or excessive laying. I feed layer crumbles with oyster shell on the side. I give a 1-1.5 cups mixture of oats, sunflower seeds and cracked corn every morning in their run to keep them happy and scratching before laying begins. I use oxine or ACV in their water. The RIR laid pretty early yesterday, so she may lay another one today. I want them laying for as long as possible since they are going to be with us until the end. I don't want them burnt out on laying.

Most lay an egg a day their whole lives (except for short breaks for winter, molting, etc). They'll be fine.
smile.png

You get the best production of any breed in the first three months. They'll drop off about 10% after so that's still a good seven eggs in eight days. Drop off another 10% production or more after first real molt next fall.

Wow, I didn't know that. I was under the assumption they laid 6-7 eggs and took a day off. I thought my SS would lay less. I love the eggs, but I don't want them to wear out.

I think they'll be fine. I have an 18 mo old leghorn who has not laid maybe 10 days total since she started. They're going to lay when they're going to lay. There's no reason to mess with them. And hey, too many eggs is always better than too few IMO!

Back
Top Bottom