Laying two eggs at once???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BentWillow, Jun 23, 2008.

1. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    My sons went to collect eggs and found one of our white leghorns in her nest. Within a couple minutes, she laid an egg. They waited for her to hop out to get the egg. As they waited a couple minutes, they saw her lay another egg. I thought for sure they just saw the golf ball we had left in there, but sure enough, there were two eggs. I asked if maybe one of the eggs had already been in there before she hopped in but they say they actually saw her lay both. Has anyone ever heard of this before? None of our neighbors in the country could believe it.

2. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    That is very strange. I have never had 2 eggs from my hens like that. And yes I watch them lay sometimes too. lol. My girlfriend said a long time ago, she had gotten 6 eggs a day but only had 4 RIR hens. Maybe you have one of the few who can do that. I wonder if she will do that all the time?

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have heard that rarely you can find a hen that will actually lay two eggs in one day. I don't know if it can happen that quickly though? So, it's possible.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You certiantly are lucky! It is possible; once a Leghorn hen layed 148 eggs in 135 days! Poor gal must have been EXHAUSTED! [​IMG]

5. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Interesting. These birds are 19 weeks old and have been laying for about 2 weeks. We have been getting 3 or 4 a day for the past several days so perhaps she had one qued up from the day prior - I have no idea. We certainly spoil them with snacks so I'm glad to be repaid with a double egg day!

6. Chowder

Chowder Out Of The Brooder

We got 2 eggs in one day - but it has only happened once - and they weren't right after each other - more a few hours apart and we were CONFUSED! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:NOW , I have picked up 1 egg REAL early in the morning , and probably had been laid overnight , and then another one LATE that afternoon . I guess she wanted to remain on schedule of AN EGG A DAY ? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by