Laying two eggs

Sep 22, 2019
Ontario Canada
I have a question for all you long time chicken keepers. My wife claims one of our girls has laid two eggs in one day before. One regular and one soft. I said it was impossible. It happened when we isolated her, Well yesterday she was being a real bully again so we isolated her into our old brooder box in the garage. She didn’t lay yesterday and I checked around 8 to 9 pm last night And no eggs. I went out this morning at 630 am and she was standing over two eggs. Both full sized but one regular and one soft shelled. Could this be because of her being isolated ?

How old is she, what breed, and how long has she been laying???
A hard and soft egg in one day is not common, but also not unprecedented.
Especially if bird is a high production breed and a new layer.
It likely has nothing to do with being isolated....because she did it before too, right? ;)
Isolating her just proved it.

How old is she? Because if she's in her first year or so of laying it is not unheard of for a chicken to lay more then one egg a day. She may still be getting into her laying cycle

She is a silver laced wya dotted and is 14 months old. The other time she did this she was also isolated. As long as this doesn’t mean she has a problem we will just watch her and carry on.

She is a silver laced wya dotted and is 14 months old. The other time she did this she was also isolated. As long as this doesn’t mean she has a problem we will just watch her and carry on.
It could be she is ramping down production and getting ready to molt,
you can get some funky eggs before and after molting time.
As long as it doesn't happen frequently, it's just a hormone hiccup.

Actually, I'm not sure, but I think one of mine just laid 2 eggs, 1 medium Soft Shell and one small one. She's been laying once per day generally, this is her 2nd week of laying, she's 19 weeks old. She's been normally laying medium sized eggs, minus the small ones at the beginning. But with her she's been having soft shelled eggs about 1 every 4 days.
She is an EasterEgger (Colorpack)

I have 8 birds, and of them, I know for a fact that the Speckled sussex and this one are laying. The next one to lay should be my White Leghorn, but her eggs are supposed to be white.

Back
Top Bottom