Laying while in the roost bar!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Davidhalpern2, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    I was given a one year old hen a few months ago. She goes into the nest boxes to sit on the already laid eggs during the day but is laying her eggs during the night while on the roost bar!
    I added a 7 watt night light and dummy
    Eggs in the nests but neither has helped. Any ideas on how I can get her to use the nest box and preferabably lay during the day?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The light would be more likely to encourage her to lay at night rather than discourage her, I would think, if it causes her to hink it is daytime. But she may have an illness causing this to happen. I wish I could offer some help for you..

3. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    I was told a low wattage light would help them see the nest

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Experienced layers should be able to "hold it" until morning (I believe this is the seed of the myth that chickens lay their eggs in the morning.) I would skip the night-light as that will probably just confuse the issue.

My girls did this occasionally too, but mostly when they were first starting to lay. Unsure what the solution is for an older girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by