Lazy chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6chix, Aug 9, 2007.

1. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    I have a small flock that consists of 1 rooster 2 older hens a Buff Orphington and a black Austrolop. They are both about 3 years old. I recently added 2 white leggerons 2 red stars and 2 NH reds. These are about 20 weeks old. At first we were getting 2 large eggs every day from the older chickens then the leggerorns started laying and then the red stars started laying. We haven't seen anything from the NH reds and the Buff has stopped laying completly. I love these girls and was just wondering when the NH reds will start laying? What about the buff she must be thinking all the kids are doing the work now and I'm just going to hang out!

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

They could be going into a molt. They will not be laying for awhile if this is the case.

Also how did you add the new ones? If it was done gradually it should not stress them but if not done gradually they may be stessed.

Just some ideas - I am new to this...

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens are really sensative to change. They really freak out easy, especially when you upset the pecking order and they need to get things back in order. It may seem like it should not matter, however to the present flock, someone is eating my feed, drinking my water, and sleeping in my spot. How is it when someone comes to stay for a while at your house? No matter how many manners they have you are prolly happy when they leave.

Their coop is their home, and they didn't even invite the new one's..... that is how they feel, so easy does it with the added birds.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by