lazy coop cleaner here

grammychick12

In the Brooder
May 29, 2015
fort worth TX
I'm new to all this and love all the info I have picked up on this site. Thanks to everyone. Our ducks are soooo messy in their coop requiring a nearly daily cleaning...ya know that shelf liner stuff for your kitchen shelves? I put that on the floor of their coop and nesting box and clean up is so much easier than anything I have tried in the past.(My ducks and chicks are just now 4 1/2 weeks old) They outgrew our garage bout 2 weeks ago. lol Just wanted to share in case someone else wanted to try a new idea.

I'm new to all this and love all the info I have picked up on this site. Thanks to everyone. Our ducks are soooo messy in their coop requiring a nearly daily cleaning...ya know that shelf liner stuff for your kitchen shelves? I put that on the floor of their coop and nesting box and clean up is so much easier than anything I have tried in the past.(My ducks and chicks are just now 4 1/2 weeks old) They outgrew our garage bout 2 weeks ago. lol Just wanted to share in case someone else wanted to try a new idea.
ducks are insanely messy when Enclosed . The ducks at 4 1/2 weeks could be outside all day so not able to be near as messy. Good that you made you a way to make cleaning easier, though.

I'm lazy too. I have dirt a dirt floor in the coop that I spread with dried leaves or straw. On bin night I just rack it out and dump it on top of the bin before taking the bin out. Then just spread new stuuf in there. I don't have ducks though!

I have ducks and chickens, and my advice is don't keep the food and water inside their coop area. Huge mess - been there, done that. Once they are old enough, put the food and water outside in the pen or yard, and their sleeping area will be much cleaner. I still add a layer of hay each day, but it is dry (for the most part!). I clean it out once a month or so. Outside I have a sand run and installed drains around the waterers. The drains are all connected by 2" pipe which drains outside the pen area.

? I put that on the floor of their coop and nesting box and clean up is so much easier than anything I have tried in the past.

Nest boxes (same principle as you)
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I also have a tarp on the floor that I replace with a second tarp when the floor needs cleaning.

Nest boxes (same principle as you)
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I also have a tarp on the floor that I replace with a second tarp when the floor needs cleaning.
What type of tarp do you use? does it get scratched up/ damaged by the chickens? I plan on doing deep litter.

What type of tarp do you use? does it get scratched up/ damaged by the chickens? I plan on doing deep litter.
I use a nylon tarp (I have two of them) I lay it down first and I employ the deep litter method also (mainly through the winter months in my case) My hens are confined to the coop most of the winter. Makes clean up much easier. Shovel out the heavy stuff into the wheel barrow then the remain stuff pull out the tarp and replace it with the second tarp.

Works for me.

Something like this:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom