Lazy Orpington Roo???

jbpatwood

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Maine
Are Orpington's typically lazy? I have a new roo we aquired from a lady the next town over. He's 14 weeks now (we bought him two weeks ago) all he wants to do is lay down! He seems healthy. He eats and drinks well, and when he needs to "defend" himself he has no trouble standing up to the others. Is he just lazy or should I be looking at something else as a the culprit? I do notice his comb and wattles sometimes go from a pink color to bright red, and then back to pink again...sometimes I wonder if this is normal or if it's lack of oxygen. Thanks in advance for any input!
smile.png

At 14 weeks, he's probably not acting too much like a rooster at this point. His hormones are just starting to surge, which may account for the color changing comb. Sometimes even their legs take on a reddish tone when their hormones get to going. Give him another month or two and he should be used to his surroundings and will have figured out his job.

So you finally figured out males....
lol.png

I have an BO Roo named BillyBob and he was the same way...turned out to be the first to crow and crows all the time and I love it. I have a racoon that has been hitting my bird feeder so I put a cage out about 5 tonight. Well one of the hens of course got caught (Duh...yea, we're dumb too if you haven't figured that out either). Well he starts hootin" and hollerin' till we got her out...great roo and takes care of his flock. And if he don't live up to your expectations you could eat him...I can tell you that BO are very good eatin' and I have three or four BO roos in the freezer right now. BillyBob's goes from red to purple if that means anything...BillyBob is 20 something weeks....

Haha That's great! I'm not concerned about him not doing his job really...If he's lazy that's fine with me. I'm more concerned about an illness. I don't want to eat him:) He's so precious to me.

Thanks for your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom