Lazy Woman's Tractor -- Pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pattycake, Apr 23, 2008.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I felt bad that my chicks were spending these warm spring days inside in their plastic tote brooder, but I have ZERO building skills and couldn't figure out what else to do with them. Then I saw this ancient kitchen cupboard in my barn, dusted it off (a little), set it on its side, made a pen from leftover hardware cloth and stapled it on, and duct taped a screen door screen on top. (I know, definitely NOT predator proof! They only stay out there for a few hours at a time and I'm always nearby.)

Voila:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love looking at other people's set ups, but some are so nice they make me feel bad. I thought I'd post these pics to satisfy curiosity but not make anyone else feel bad!

The chicks were born March 31st, and they're three golden Comets and three Easter Eggers. No names yet -- any ideas??

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Nice looking chicks

I need to set something set up for my chicks so they can be outside some.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I like it! I wanted to put mine out so bad when they were that age but hubby didnt have the time to build anything. So I wandered in and out of all the old buildings looking for something, anything! I couldnt come up with a thing!! So I think you did GREAT!!!!!

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well don't come and look at my setup then.... [​IMG]
    I have a piece of chicken wire made in a circle for my littles to get in right now...... Oh well at least I tried.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Nice job! I love to see what people do in a pinch to benefit their chicks. It inspires other people to dig in and use what they have to give their chicks a better life too.

6. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    Your babies look like they are smiling! You have one that looks like my EE. I can't decide whether to name her Wren or Barb White because she looks like one of those birds with her white cheeks. Here is mine:

As A Baby:

[​IMG]

And at 5 Weeks:

[​IMG]

7. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    The only thing missing is a blue tarp! lol

Oh and maybe one of those plastic blue 55 gal drums. [​IMG]

Works for me. Good Job

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That's great. I always say if you have duct tape you can fix anything. [​IMG]

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    GREAT idea! And I'll be they love the feel of that green grass through their toes.

10. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    that's great. I love to see how inventive people can be. I built a small pen monday. I used an old small dog house and and a packing pallet. I took the pallet apart and made a box to attach.( I did no cuting just screw it all together. It worked great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by